Save the flesh from your Halloween pumpkins and turn it into our delicious roast pumpkin soup!
- 1 large pumpkin, washed, unpeeled, cut into even sized pieces, seeds removed
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 large brown onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 sticks of celery, washed and chopped into small pieces
- 2 sprigs of rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- 20g fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 20g tomato paste
- 3 litres of chicken or veg stock
- 200ml cream
- Salt & black pepper.
- Heat your oven to 200c
- Put your chopped pumpkin and garlic in a large bowl, toss generously in olive oil and salt and pepper
- Lay pumpkin on a roasting tray. Make sure the tray is not overfull or heaped up as this will stop the pumpkin cooking evenly.
- Roast pumpkin in the oven until golden and soft.
- Heat a large heavy bottomed sauce pan and add 100ml of olive oil.
- Fry the onions, celery, ginger and rosemary until soft but without colouring. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add tomato paste and simmer, stirring continuously.
- Add roasted pumpkin and garlic to the pan and mix it in
- Add chicken stock, bring to the boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the cream, boil again.
- Carefully blend the soup until it’s smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Leftover pumpkin seeds? Try Jamie Oliver’s recipe for spiced roasted pumpkin seeds here.
Check out more of our delicious Wasty recipes here.
(Image at top from Leslle Thompson, modified under Creative Commons Licence https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/legalcode)