It’s easy to avoid food waste this Christmas whilst enjoying delicious meals and making your dishes last longer.
Our kitchen magician and master of zero-waste cooking Travis Harvey has developed these 12 simple and tasty tips to help your Christmas leftovers go further:
- On the first day of Christmas, the leftovers could be … sandwiches or salads stuffed with roast veggies, ham or turkey.
- On the second day of Christmas, carve all your turkey and ham from the bone … to make sure it stays fresh. Slices of ham and turkey can be frozen in a container for up to 3 months.
- On the third day of Christmas, some yummy leftovers could be … Xmas pudding bitesize balls, rolled and dipped in melted chocolate and desiccated coconut.
- On the fourth day of Christmas, a gorgeous soup leftover could be … the ham bone cooked up to make a nutritious pork broth, or use the off cuts for a tasty ham and pea soup.
- On the fifth day of Christmas, a great tip to avoid leftovers could be … portion control! Use 250g per person as a guide for serving meat, recipes that serve 6 people should feed twice the amount when served buffet style with other dishes.
- On the sixth day of Christmas, a trifle or dessert tip could be …. serve in small glasses or individual jars, which are easier to store and will last longer than in a big bowl.
- On the seventh day of Christmas, a great tip for prawns could be … peel before storing, throw them in a stir fry or rice paper rolls, or freeze for up to three months. Also, freeze the shells before disposing to prevent a smelly bin!
- On the eighth day of Christmas, frozen fruit tips could be … pop your left over fruit salad in the freezer, perfect for adding straight into a breakfast smoothie (always peel bananas before freezing).
- On the ninth day of Christmas, a tip for roast veggie leftovers could be … combine with ham, eggs, cheese, olive oil and flour to make Boxing Day Breakfast fritters.
- On the tenth day of Christmas, an amazing leftover toastie could be … ham teamed with camembert or any leftover cheese, add some cranberry sauce for festive flavour!
- On the eleventh day of Christmas, your leftovers could be … turkey and roast veggies combined with your favourite spices to make a great curry.
- On the twelfth day of Christmas, your fridge should be empty! Make a list before you go shopping.