The OzHarvest Market is Australia’s leading rescued food supermarket, stocked with produce that has either been donated or would otherwise go to waste, but is perfectly edible. We serve customers from all over Sydney, averaging over 200 customers per day in 2020.
Open to public: 10am – 2pm, Tuesday – Friday
Where: 147 Anzac Parade, Kensington, NSW (view the location)
‘Take what you need, give if you can’
This is the market’s operating philosophy for all visitors. The mission of the market is to make good quality, nourishing food available to people suffering food insecurity.
Corporate Team Volunteering at the Market
This is a truly unique team opportunity at Australia’s first 100% free supermarket. Your organisation is invited to become a part of our yellow family for the day; helping to replenish shelves, chat with patrons, provide refreshments, assist at the bag packing station and providing customer service. You will see first hand the community that has been built around this innovative space.
Click here to read more about the team building activity!
- Times required: Any Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday, 8.45am – 2.45pm
- Group size: Up to 7pax per day
- Contact: Please book here or send your corporate inquiry to [email protected]
- Your impact: Calculated by Bain & Co, our social return on investment (SROI) reveals the of every dollar invested into OzHarvest. Food rescue returns $6.75 to the community by cutting the costs of food bills for charitable agencies, which allows their precious finances to be directed into specialised core services. Please check out the latest OzHarvest Impact video below to learn about our various community outreach initiatives that your donation will support!
Individual volunteering at the OzHarvest Market
The Market is powered by our yellow army volunteers. We are always looking for people who can commit to a recurring weekly shift, any day Tuesday- Friday 9am – 3pm. If this sounds like you, please get in touch with us at [email protected]
Follow our OzHarvest Market Facebook page to get the latest Market news.
Financial – please click here to donate and help keep the Market’s doors open for those in need.
Our Market is a pop up space on the ground level of The Addison Project: TOGA and Qualitas’ youth shelter housing project. It opened on 19th April 2017 and will remain in Kensington for as long as the site is available.
What is available in the OzHarvest Market?
We rescue perfectly good food that can’t be sold by supermarkets, food retailers and many other businesses, but is still within its ‘use by’ date. Some products are kindly donated for a variety of commercial reasons, such as change in packaging or over orders. What we have in-store will vary each week depending on what is rescued or provided by our generous food donors.
How much does it cost?
Our philosophy is ‘take what you need, give what you can’. If you can’t afford to pay and you’re in need of food, please take what you need. If you can give something, then please do; every dollar donated can help OzHarvest provide two meals to Australians in need.
How does it work?
- Pick up a shopping basket on your way in
- Fill it with a variety of nutritious foods – our volunteers are on hand to help
- Only take what you need so everyone can enjoy the food
- Head to the checkout area where a volunteer will help you pack your goods
- Make a small donation if you can
- Remember to bring your own shopping bag!
Where do the donations go?
All donations from the OzHarvest Market will help OzHarvest feed more Australians in need! All food and produce in the store is donated free of charge, as is the retail space (thanks to TOGA!). That means every dollar you spend in the OzHarvest Market equals two meals we can deliver to vulnerable women, children & men across the country.
Why open a surplus food supermarket?
A number of reasons:
- To make rescued food available to everyone in our community, especially those doing it tough
- To help reduce food waste in Australia and continue Nourishing Our Country
- To raise money for OzHarvest to support our work rescuing and redistributing surplus food
- It’s an innovative and effective way of redistributing good food that would otherwise go to waste.
Is this the first surplus food supermarket in Australia?
Yes! It’s the first one that operates on a ‘take what you need, pay what you can’ model. We were inspired by the world’s first surplus food supermarket which opened in Denmark in 2016.
Where is OzHarvest Market and what are its opening hours?
Find us at 147 Anzac Parade, Kensington, NSW. The store is open 10am – 2pm Tuesday – Friday. View the location on Google Maps.
How do I get there?
- From Central Station (Eddy Avenue, Stand C) catch the 391, 393, 395 or M10 buses
- Get off at the Australia Post stop (near Todman Avenue) on Anzac Parade
- Walk south and cross Anzac Parade at Todman Avenue.
- Continue south along Anzac Parade for about 150 metres and the OzHarvest Market will be on your right.
- Remember, there is no parking on-site.
Donating food to OzHarvest Market
Can members of the public donate food to the OzHarvest Market?
Yes, but only unopened dry, non-perishable items in tins, boxes or packets, still within the use-by date or no more than 3 months after the best-before date. You can also donate unopened toiletries.
When can I donate?
Please bring any donated food to The OzHarvest Market between 10am – 2pm, Tuesday to Friday.
Can I donate food past its “use by” date?
No. Unfortunately this is no longer food safe.
Can I donate food past its “best before” date?
Yes! If the food is still in good condition and food safe. Generally, three months passed the best before date is a safe rule, however if you’re unsure please call us to discuss on 1800 108 006.
Can an OzHarvest van collect food from my household?
No. Unfortunately there are food safety complications around this and OzHarvest is not set up logistically to collect from households.