The OzHarvest Market is Australia’s first ever rescued food supermarket, stocked with produce that has either been donated or would otherwise go to waste, but is perfectly edible. Based on a ‘take what you need, give if you can’ philosophy, our purpose is to make rescued food available to everyone, especially those who need it most.
The OzHarvest Market is a pop up marketplace, which is part of The Addison Project, TOGA and Qualitas’ youth shelter housing project at The Addison Hotel on Anzac Parade in Kensington, Sydney. It opened on 19 April 2017 and will remain open for as long as the site is available.
Want to donate food to the OzHarvest Market? Click here!
Help the OzHarvest Market keep its doors open for those in need! Donate here.
Want to volunteer in the OzHarvest Market? The Market is powered by volunteers, and we are always looking for people who can commit to a regular weekly shift between 9am-3pm, Tuesday– Friday. If this sounds like you, please get in touch with us at [email protected].
Where: 147 Anzac Parade, Kensington, NSW 2033, Australia (view the location on Google Maps)
Opening hours: 10am – 2pm, Tuesday – Friday
For more information contact [email protected]
The OzHarvest Market will be closed on the following days. Apologies for any inconvenience:
- Tuesday 20th March
- Wed 21st March
- Friday 30th March
- Monday 2nd April
- Tuesday 3rd April
- Wed 25th April
What is available in the OzHarvest Market?
We rescue perfectly good food that can’t be sold by supermarkets, food retailers and many other businesses, but is still within its ‘use by’ date. Some products are kindly donated for a variety of commercial reasons, such as change in packaging or over orders. What we have in-store will vary each week depending on what is rescued or provided by our generous food donors.
How much does it cost?
Our philosophy is ‘take what you need, give what you can’. If you can’t afford to pay and you’re in need of food, please take what you need. If you can give something, then please do; every dollar donated can help OzHarvest provide two meals to Australians in need.
How does it work?
- Pick up a shopping basket on your way in
- Fill it with a variety of nutritious foods – our volunteers are on hand to help
- Only take what you need so everyone can enjoy the food
- Head to the checkout area where a volunteer will help you pack your goods
- Make a small donation if you can
- Remember to bring your own shopping bag!
Where do the donations go?
All donations from the OzHarvest Market will help OzHarvest feed more Australians in need! All food and produce in the store is donated free of charge, as is the retail space (thanks to TOGA!). That means every dollar you spend in the OzHarvest Market equals two meals we can deliver to vulnerable women, children & men across the country.
Why open a surplus food supermarket?
A number of reasons:
- To make rescued food available to everyone in our community, especially those doing it tough
- To help reduce food waste in Australia and continue Nourishing Our Country
- To raise money for OzHarvest to support our work rescuing and redistributing surplus food
- It’s an innovative and effective way of redistributing good food that would otherwise go to waste.
Is this the first surplus food supermarket in Australia?
Yes! It’s the first one that operates on a ‘take what you need, pay what you can’ model. We were inspired by the world’s first surplus food supermarket which opened in Denmark in 2016.
Where is OzHarvest Market and what are its opening hours?
Find us at 147 Anzac Parade, Kensington, NSW. The store is open 10am – 2pm Tuesday – Friday. View the location on Google Maps.
How do I get there?
- From Central Station (Eddy Avenue, Stand C) catch the 391, 393, 395 or M10 buses
- Get off at the Australia Post stop (near Todman Avenue) on Anzac Parade
- Walk south and cross Anzac Parade at Todman Avenue.
- Continue south along Anzac Parade for about 150 metres and the OzHarvest Market will be on your right.
- Remember, there is no parking on-site.
Donating food to OzHarvest Market
Can members of the public donate food to the OzHarvest Market?
Yes, but only unopened dry, non-perishable items in tins, boxes or packets, still within the use-by date or no more than 3 months after the best-before date. You can also donate unopened toiletries.
When can I donate?
Please bring any donated food to The OzHarvest Market between 10am – 2pm, Tuesday to Friday.
Can I donate food past its “use by” date?
No. Unfortunately this is no longer food safe.
Can I donate food past its “best before” date?
Yes! If the food is still in good condition and food safe. Generally, three months passed the best before date is a safe rule, however if you’re unsure please call us to discuss on 1800 108 006.
Can an OzHarvest van collect food from my household?
No. Unfortunately there are food safety complications around this and OzHarvest is not set up logistically to collect from households.