NEST program is currently on hold due to the impact of COVID-19. We hope to have the face-to-face program back up and running as soon as practicably possible.
We have created the OzHarvest NEST Facebook Group during COVID-19 and beyond to share Nice, Easy and Simple Tips on healthy eating on a budget. This is a space where we can all:
- Learn tips and tricks about healthy eating on a budget
- Interact with each other and OzHarvest NEST team
- Get access to OzHarvest’s delicious NEST recipes and useful resources
- Ask NEST team of qualified nutritionist and dietitians questions about cooking and nutrition
- Share photos of the meals you are making to share the joy of cooking
What is NEST?
OzHarvest’s NEST program is an easy and fun way to learn healthy eating habits and how to cook simple meals on a budget in just six weeks. Each of the NEST sessions are held at the same day and time each week, and run for 2.5 hours. The workshop is delivered through interactive activities, followed by cooking and sharing a meal together, with any leftovers packaged up for people to take home. The NEST program is currently running in Canberra, Melbourne, and Sydney.
- OzHarvest’s NEST Coordinators travel to your location with all food, equipment, and educational materials required to deliver the program.
- Each workshop is delivered to a group of 6-15 adults (18+ years) and uses easy and fun nutrition activities, practical cooking lessons, and culminates in the sharing of a meal together.
- NEST is aligned with the Australian Dietary Guidelines, and the most recent healthy eating strategies, with support from researchers at Deakin University and University of Wollongong, and the University of New South Wales.
- NEST works with everyone to set realistic goals around healthy eating, which are reviewed and revised each week, so real and lasting change can be made.
- At the final workshop everyone receives a certificate and a take home toolkit, with infographic fact sheets and the OzHarvest Everyday Cookbook packed full of 30 easy, cheap, healthy and delicious step by step recipes.
- The NEST team measure the impact of each program and make continuous improvements.
We use pre and post program validated surveys to both measure the impact of NEST and to continuously improve our program. Our recent evaluation found:
- 62% reduced their consumption of unhealthy foods and drinks
- 67% increased their intake of healthy foods and drinks
- 95% said they were more confident about how to make healthy food choices on a budget.
- 90% said they would recommend NEST to others
- 95% said they had a very good experience at the NEST program
What people are saying about NEST
“NEST taught me how to make use of what you have in the cupboard, which saved us a lot of money in the long run, and gave us healthier food… we now save money on our weekly shop and have some change!” – NEST Participant Mike, 31
“There were so many benefits of the NEST program that are very clear to me. Men who had never cooked before had a whole new world open up to them by learning basic cooking skills. All the nutrition education and discussion was so inclusive, respectful and stimulating – a rare event for the household to have this type of experience. Of course, the food was great too! Nutritious and tasty. ” – Anne Klaric, Servants Community Housing, Romana House (Kew, Victoria).
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 0401 588 498
To send an expression of interest for a future 6-week NEST program or to book an online Healthy Eating on a Budget presentation please complete the enquiry form below.