Many charity agencies are in need of food items for hampers, some deliver over 100 food hampers to families in need every month! Offices, schools, community groups or places of worship can help us meet this need by running a food drive to collect non-perishable food items to be donated to OzHarvest.
All types of canned and packaged goods within use-by date can be collected. Please do not donate fresh/perishable produce or foods containing alcohol (e.g. Christmas pudding). Download the OzHarvest Food Drive and Hampers Kit to help you get started.
Five easy steps to planning a food drive:
- Choose a date and a secure/highly visible collection site
- Send out an email, put up posters and get the word out to encourage people to bring in items.
- Organise a working bee to pack the items into hampers/parcels for distribution, ideally in a supermarket eco bag or boxes. Do not seal or overfill. Try to pack a variety of items in each hamper.
- An OzHarvest representative can visit your organisation during your working day to speak to your team about food waste and food insecurity, and the role that OzHarvest plays in the community.
- Call 1800 108 006 and arrange a pick-up date for the OzHarvest van to collect the donations.
Good food for hampers:
Lastly, be creative and HAVE FUN!