Many charity agencies are in need of food items for hampers, some deliver over 100 food hampers to families in need every month! Offices, schools, community groups or places of worship can help us meet this need by running a food drive to collect non-perishable food items to be donated to OzHarvest. All types of canned and packaged goods within use-by date can be collected. Please do not donate fresh/perishable produce or foods containing alcohol (e.g. Christmas pudding).
Seven easy steps to planning a food drive:
- Download this Food Drive and Hampers Kit pdf which includes posters and food guidelines to help you get started.
- Send out an email to your team members, put up posters and get the word out to encourage people to bring in items over a week long period.
- Choose a van collection date and a secure/highly visible collection site.
- Van booking: approx one week notice please. Email [email protected] (NSW, SA & ACT) or call 1800 108 006 (WA, QLD & VIC) listing:
· the approximate quantity of food bags
· contact name and phone number
· pick up address and instructions (e.g. loading dock)
· company / group name
· preferred van arrival date
- Our logistics team will confirm the yellow van pickup date for you.
- Ensure items are packed into eco bags or boxes, or hampers. Avoid single use plastics. Do not seal or overfill. Try to pack a variety of items in each bag. (This hamper packing can be a team exercise in itself).
- Van arrives! Celebrate the impact your team has delivered!
Optional: an OzHarvest representative can visit your organisation to speak to your team about food waste and food insecurity, and the role that OzHarvest plays in the community. Please call 1800 108 006 to inquire.
Good food for hampers:
Lastly, be creative and HAVE FUN!