SA News

New funding puts meals on the table

by admin

January 18, 2021

OzHarvest adelaide volunteer
OzHarvest adelaide volunteer
SA News

New funding puts meals on the table

by admin

Food relief and rescue organisations are serving up record levels of meals, thanks to a state government funding boost.

OzHarvest delivered a whopping 66,516 kgs of food last month, compared to 45,354 kgs in December 2019. Already this month it’s estimated an additional 10,000 kgs of food will be delivered, compared to January last year.

The food, which would otherwise go to waste, is delivered to agencies which distribute it to South Australians experiencing food insecurity.

The increase in distribution has been made possible by a $1 million Marshall Liberal Government funding boost, with $100,000 going specifically to OzHarvest.

Minister for Human Services Michelle Lensink said this funding will ensure the organisation can keep two vans on the road.
“This will allow OzHarvest to cope with the increase in demand its experiencing, and stop edible food from being wasted,” said Minister Lensink.

“The Marshall Liberal Government is here to help any South Australian doing it tough, and this funding will increase food relief companies like OzHarvest to play its part,” said Ms Lensink.

Rachel Hibble of OzHarvest said the state government funding is making a big difference.

“It is such a privilege to be able support those struggling during this time” said Mrs Hibble.

“We have such deep gratitude for the recent funding from the Department of Human Services and the ongoing support we receive from our community and food donors, which keep our wheels turning, and keep people from going hungry”

“It is important to remember that every number or statistic you see or hear is a mother, a father, an aunty or uncle, a grandparent or child.

“With every $1 donated, OzHarvest can deliver two meals to those in need,” said Mrs Hibble.

The $1 million boost to help vulnerable South Australians includes;

– $150,00 to Foodbank

– $100,000 to OzHarvest

– $100,000 to SecondBite

– $650,000 provided to charities through the Emergency Financial Relief Program so they can support South Australians through measures including food, chemist and transport vouchers, as well as support with cost-of-living pressures like bills.

“We really urge any South Australians who is struggling to put food on the table or with general household pressures to access this targeted help,” said Minister Lensink.

“This $1 million boost is in addition to a $1.6 million Marshall Liberal Government boost provided earlier this year to support South Australians, as well as food relief organisations, during the COVID-19 pandemic.”